Resources for Implementing the Catholic Curriculum Standards
History and Implementation of Catholic Curriculum Standards
Webinar with Rubicon International and Diocese of Lansing, MI.
Examples of integrating the Catholic Curriculum Standards
Diocese of Joliet – K8 Standards used English Language Arts, Science, Mathematics, and Social Science.
Sample Lesson/Unit Plans*
*These can be adapted to individual lesson plan templates.
Teacher Formation Readings
Below are a series of readings that teachers might undertake to develop a deeper and richer understanding of the philosophical approach embedded within the Catholic Curriculum Standards. They are listed in order with the most general article describing the benefits of the integration of philosophy within the educational program (1) moving next to a brief explanation of the five Transcendentals: Perfect and unconditional Truth, Love, Goodness (Justice), Beauty, and Being (Home) (2), a brief history of western philosophical teaching on the transcdendentals by Augustine and Aquinas (3) and a call of how these transcendentals lead us to Jesus, as God, and the Word (4). Adler provides the philosophical framework for understanding truth and beauty (5), and then finally Saint John Paul II’s Fides et Ratio (6) expounds on objective truth and reality.
At some point within a Catholic school teacher’s career, a wide-spread and thorough reading of the Church documents on education can be undertaken (7).
- Kreeft, P. (Jan. 2015). “It’s About Navigating Life: The Importance of Philosophy & Theology.”
- Spitzer, R. (2011). “Appendix: Evidence of the transmateriality of human beings” in Ten Universal Principles: A Brief Philosophy of the Life Issues. Pgs. 123 – 139.
- Turley, S. (2014). Awakening wonder: A classical guide to truth, goodness, and beauty. Camp Hill, PA: Classical Academic Press. Chapter 4. Overview of western philosophical teachings on the transcendentals.
- Caldecott, S. (2012). Beauty in the word. Tacoma, WA: Angelico Press. Pgs. 133-136 and 153 – 160.
- Adler, M. (2000). The great ideas. Peru, IL: Open Court Publishing. Pgs. 1 – 10 on Truth and Pgs. 153 – 162 on Beauty.
- John Paul II, (1998). Fides et Ratio, #28 – 93.
- Church Documents for School Teachers: Annotated Bibliography